Coordinator of Religious Education
St. Louis King of France Catholic Church and School in Austin, Texas sees a Coordinator of Religious Education. The CRE responds to the spiritual and faith development needs of families whose children are age four through eighth grade. The CRE develops, coordinates, implements and maintains a comprehensive religious education program, providing faith development opportunities that fulfill and challenge the faith life of parents and their children.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lifelong Christian Formation (LCF) and Sacrament Preparation: Develops, implements and maintains curriculum and schedules in English and Spanish for public school families with children ages four through eighth grade.
- RCIA Adapted for Children: Develops, implements and maintains curriculum for RCIA Adapted for Children (English and Spanish), as well as sacrament preparation for Reconciliation and Eucharist.
- Sacrament Retreats: Develops, implements and trains catechists to conduct Sacrament Preparation retreats in English and Spanish.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS): Provides support and oversees the development and scheduling of CGS. Parents of children served primarily maintain the program. CGS is available for children age three to ten.
- Children´s Liturgy: Develops, implements and maintains curriculum and schedules for Children´s Liturgy in English and Spanish.
- Parent Sessions: Co-develops/sponsors adult enrichment curriculum (English and Spanish) held simultaneously with children’s sessions. Assesses and utilizes family, social, and cultural concerns in ministry.
- Catechists/volunteers: Recruits, trains, supports and supervises catechetical leaders for parents and children. Ability to dismiss volunteers if necessary.
- Family Events: Collaborates with Youth Minister, Early Childhood Development Director and other ministry leaders to co-sponsor annual parish-wide events such as, but not limited to, the following: Pet Blessing in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, Breakfast with Santa, Stations of the Cross in Lent, Advent celebrations, end-of-the-year parties, Vacation Bible School.
- Budget: In collaboration with the Director of Accounting, develops and appropriates Religious Education budget.
- Coordinates the use of facilities with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Meetings: Attends monthly pastoral team meetings, annual staff retreats and other staff events as directed by the Pastor, as well as bi-monthly deanery meetings.
Skills we are looking for in our Coordinator of Religious Education include:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Comprehensive knowledge of scriptural and theological foundations of evangelization and family catechesis, including concepts such as revelation, discipleship, conversion and stewardship.
- Knowledge of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church as passed down through tradition, sacred scripture, and the documents of the church, including but not limited to the New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE), the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the Code of Canon Law, and Papal Encyclicals.
- Skill in verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Ability to work closely with the Director of Hispanic Ministries to ensure an appropriate, consistent educational experience.
- Ability to operate various word-processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Ability to work effectively with others (staff, clergy, religious, and laity).
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and utilize effective time management techniques.
- Ability to maintain respect at all times.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
This position requires a minimum of a degree or certification in a catechetical/pastoral field, or relevant areas; minimum of three years working in a catechetical field, preferably as a CRE; and a theological perspective consistent with The National Directory for Catechesis; The Catechetical Documents, General Directory for Catechesis; Catechism of the Catholic Church.